Sunday, August 5, 2012

Here we go

A rather monumental date for me is coming up soon and it's leaving me feeling all kinds of stuff.  I'm a little bundle of emotions.  ;)

Last year, on August 13th, 2011, I laid down in my Wisconsin backyard to watch the Perseid Meteor Shower.  Being the impulsive person I am, when I got home from working late that night, I just went right out and plopped myself down in the grass, no bug spray, no blanket to lie on - who cares, I was just going to be in my own backyard doing some stargazing for a bit. It was cool, clear, and the grass was a little pokey, but mostly comfortable.  The air seemed fresh and refreshing, it was nice, save for the bug bites that started after a little bit. 

That was the night I got the bite that gave me Lyme Disease.  And I didn't see even one meteor, either.

As if set on a timer, 2 weeks exactly after that night, I developed quite substantial joint pain and headaches, and there started my journey with chronic illness.  

I can't believe it's been about a whole year.  I count myself oh so very fortunate (blessed?) that I am honestly about all better.  It mystifies me that I had the right group of healers, right family, right husband, right everything to guide me through this whole mess in only one year.  It's like everything was set up just for me to have what I needed.

It's hard to believe that I had months of late assignments and dropping classes before withdrawing completely from school last fall.  And now, in less than a month, I will be picking up where I left off (just 2 classes though - the easiest ones).   

It's hard to believe that about a year ago, I became completely unreliable at work (a grieving process unique to those who get sick or injured, I think).  And soon, I'll be starting work again with a very understanding boss who knows my whole medical history.

I'm enormously glad to pick up my life again, slowly, with caution, but with an overwhelming amount of gratitude that I even get to try.

What a year it has been.  And I really do think that this episode of Lyme is just about at its close, that is, until I have some kind of trauma like a car accident or a surgery.   Hahaha.

I do have plans to watch that meteor shower this year, perhaps from the seat of my car, or slathered in insect repellent sitting on a lawn chair.  Maybe I'll get to see a meteor this time.

It ain't about how hard you hit.
It's about how hard you can GET hit,
and keep moving forward.
It's about how much you can take,
and keep moving forward.
That's how winning is done.
                   ~  Rocky Balboa


No comments:

Post a Comment